(updated February 2017)
- The mission of the Condor Voice is to accurately, truthfully, and professionally report on events and issues that are of interest to the Curie student body.
- The Condor Voice aims to inform, educate, and entertain readers.
OPEN FORUM STATUS
- The Condor Voice is an open forum for student expression.
- Students make the final decisions regarding all published content, and there is no prior review or restriction made by school officials.
- The student editorial staff members of the Condor Voice bear final responsibility for the publication of all content included within.
- Illinois HB5902, the state legislation that applies to student journalism and free speech, will be the final authority in regards to what is deemed appropriate for publication.
CONTRIBUTIONS FROM STUDENTS NOT ON THE NEWSPAPER STAFF
- Letters to the editor may be reproduced in the print or online editions of the Condor Voice, depending on space constraints and editorial decisions. All letters must be sent by email and identified by name and homeroom.
- Guest columns are welcome, but will be subject to editorial review. Guest columns should be submitted by email. All potential guest columnists should include their name, division, and a phone number with their submission. Columns may be rejected for the quality or legality of the writing, but not for the opinion expressed within. Potential guest columns may be sent back to the writer for revision.
WHAT WE PRINT & DON’T PRINT
- The Condor Voice will endeavor to provide a chance for comment on all sides of a critical issue in the same edition.
- The staff will not avoid publishing a story on the basis of possible dissent or controversy.
- Condor Voice will avoid conflict of interest in reporting. A Condor Voice reporter will not be assigned a news or feature story in which he or she has a vested interest.
- The Condor Voice staff will not show favoritism towards any person, club, or organizations. Rather, individuals and groups will be considered for news or feature stories based on values of newsworthiness, as determined by the staff.
- The Condor Voice does not publish unprotected speech. This includes any material that is obscene, libelous, or invasive of others’ privacy. It also includes speech that encourages physical disruption of school activities.
- The Condor Voice will not publish any attack material regarding individuals, religion, gender, age, mental or physical ability, ethnicity, race, culture, or lifestyle choices.
- The Condor Voice will not publish gossip columns, popularity polls, or advertisements.
- The views stated in unsigned editorials represent that of a majority of the editorial board. No single member of the editorial board can be held responsible for editorial content decisions. Signed columns or reviews represent only the opinion of the author.
- All Curie student sources will be identified by first and last name and division. Students at other high schools will be identified by first and last name, grade and school
- All non-student sources will be identified by first and last name and position.
- The Condor Voice reporters will include the name and identity of all sources as long as the reporter believes that doing so will not result in harassment or any other form of undue physical, mental, and/or emotional anguish for the source.
- Editors will make the final decision, with adviser input, about whether to include an anonymous source. When a source is kept unidentified in print, they will be given an assumed first name that will be used to identify them within the story.
- The Condor Voice will not, within all boundaries of the law, reveal a source who asked to remain unidentified.
- The who, what, where, when, why, and how of all photographs taken will be recorded whether of individuals, places, or things.
- Photos will not be deceptively altered, flipped, enhanced or manipulated in a way that information is falsely portrayed. Creative photo-based illustrations will be labeled as such.
ROLE OF ADVISER
- The adviser provides a professional journalistic learning atmosphere and experience for students by allowing them to make decisions of content for the publication.
- The Condor Voice adviser will read and give feedback to students regarding articles prior to publication, but the adviser will not make final decisions or act as a censor.
ROLE OF ADMINISTRATION
- The administration of Curie High School does not review or approve content before it is published.
- The administration is not responsible for publication decisions regarding the content of the online and print editions of the Condor Voice.